A blog solely devoted to the building up of an almost completely silly but ironically significant entity created by shear spontaneity on a late night whim. Boots, Staches, Sweaters...and really anything else we think contributes to a healthy society. We like to call it the BSS.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

There's an Outhouse in My Provo Backyard...





I built an outhouse this past weekend.  I'm not gonna lie, it's pretty rad.  It's definitely an attention getter too.  My back yard is surrounded by neighbors, and none of them could resist poking their head in and asking questions as to what bizarre quest I was embarking on.
I can't really blame them.  If I was dashing into the house to grab some ramen noodles, or sweeping off the back porch, I too would wonder what the heck some kid was doing pounding nails and rocking out to Styx in the middle of down pouring rain.
The outhouse stands about eight feet high.  It's approximately three feet by three feet and made of dilapidated barn wood.  Pretty much the only thing it's missing now is a hole in the ground.  Fortunately though, it won't be permanent, and I won't be digging any holes.  It's actually a set piece for The Boy, the Boots, and the Devil; the student short film I'm directing this semester.
It's funny how things that are different seem to snap us to attention.  I guess you could say that the reason BSS endorses things like mustaches, and mullets is because they're attention getters.  Now don't pass quick judgment here.  There's a difference between doing something simply to get attention, and doing something because you're embracing an underlying principle.
I'm not going to claim that the BSS is anything more than a silly excuse to have a good time, but if you really think about it, we can gain a lot from what's different.  If my neighbors hadn't asked me what I was doing building a nasty ol' outhouse in my backyard, they would have probably gone on thinking I was a nutso freak, or that my house plumbing was failing (which if you saw my house, that wouldn't surprise you).  However, because they took the time to inquire and think about what what going on, they at least became aware of the fact that I do know what indoor plumbing is, and I won't be stumbling out to the backyard late at night to take care of business.

3 comments:

  1. This is a very interesting post. And it reminds me of when you visit old historical houses where you walk on the stone walkway in the backyard that leads to...an outhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Unfortunately we don't have a stone walkway leading up to it. Although that would be a nice touch. And it probably won't be around long enough to put one in, cause it has a date with some dynamite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this outhouse still around? Would it be available to use as a prop for filming? Is it portable? A lot of questions, but please do get back.

    ReplyDelete